FAREWELL HOLY NAME, REDHEAD
Holy Name, Redhead was deconsecrated as a place of Anglican worship at its final service on Sunday 6th February at 2.00pm by Bishop Charlie Murry. Since 1920 the land on which the church stands has been a place of worship, firstly in tents and then a hall. After the church was built it was dedicated as Holy Name in the parish of Belmont on January 23rd 1929.
We give thanks to God for all the faithful people who have worshipped and served at Holy Name since then, and it was with heavy and sad hearts that we said goodbye.
Holy Name, Redhead was filled to capacity last Sunday afternoon for its last service, led by Bishop Charlie, Revd Greg Colby and Darrell Fox. About 60-70 people attended the service including present and past parishioners of Belmont North /Redhead, past and present clergy, parishioners from Belmont, Windale and Swansea. The readings were done by Chris Charlton and Alma Irons, and Robyn Ashley-Brown led the music. At the end of the service, gifts that had been given to the church were returned to the donors. Then we filed out of the building to the hymn “How Great Thou Art” while Evelyn Davies and Alma Irons closed the doors. There were a few tears as the bell was rung before we gathered at the back for afternoon tea to share memories of this small but faithful church. Thank you to those who played a part in organising the occasion, particularly Carolyn Cook, warden of Holy Name, and her team.